Thursday, September 26, 2013

We still Rock and Roll

This week in the News and Observer, there was an article about using electronic sensors to let people "age in place."  That's the newest catch phrase in the national conversation on what to do with all us old people.
These sensors will let the kiddoes know if granny/gramps have brushed their teeth, taken their vitamins and generally still managed to live through the day.

The funniest part of the article was that the inventors of this system are having a difficult time marketing it to us, the members of the narcissistic-est generation because none of us wants to admit we're senior citizens.

I was thinking this would be good for us. Part of the job of being a caretaker, whether it is for your baby, your parent or your spouse is sitting around waiting for something to happen.  Those sensors would enable me to find out when Pat awakens from his nap.  I usually sit in the living room watching SUITS ( those lawyers are all so cute, except for Louis who could play Peter Pettigrew he's so ratlike). That way I can hear when Pat starts to stir and if  he's having difficulty getting up and about I can help.  But, if I had something like those sensors, I could go out and garden.  I would still be within steps of the bedroom, just outside.

I told Pat about this and he looked at me and said, "But I'm not a senior citizen."  So there you go.  The man can hardly walk, and he's still in denial.

Below are the links for the realists among us.

http://www.mylively.com/

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/22/3212496/nonagenarian-valley-produces-next.html

No comments:

Post a Comment