Sunday, September 29, 2013

At least I'm not texting.

I've not had so many complete strangers mad at me in my life.  I've been the recipient of tailgating, ugly looks, honking horns and the hatred of one gray granny bunhead who flipped me off as she zoomed past me when she decided I wasn't entering I-85/40 fast enough. Apparently for her, elder abuse is a two way street, and one on which you'd better be speeding.

My problem is not that I cannot handle the van, my problem is Pat's neck which is not as strong as it was six months ago.  I am afraid of jackrabbit starts, quick stops and dangerous curves. I am nervous his neck will just snap in two and he refuses to wear his neck brace.  I now go the speed limit most times, take curves at a reasonable pace  and accelerate carefully which I guess just ticks some people off no end.


I was telling one of our Sons in Law (and from here on out, I am just going to refer to them as our SONS because that in laws stuff is too confusing. We have four daughters- no sons- but four wonderful men  who married them and fathered  our grandchildren. We regard them as more than the legal entity that term implies. So for ease of writing, from here on out, you will just have to remember, although we didn't raise them, we still claim them -right after their parents.) Anyway our THIRD son, ( and you know that doesn't seem quite right either-I am open to suggestions here, people).

 ANYWAY I was telling that kid who married our third daughter about these issues.  As he sipped our scotch  he said,  "Of course, you drive slowly and irritate other people.  You're an old person driving a handicapped van."

 Again, elder abuse cuts both ways.






2 comments:

  1. Make up nicknames like you did in the newspaper column :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll think about that. You made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete