Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Comedy is Tragedy Plus Time

That's Steve Allen's quote.

Unfortunately for those with ALS and their families, time is something we don't have a lot of so we have to get past the tragedy or else our few days left are going to be spent with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  And there is too much life around us for that. We HAVE to participate and by golly we are going to have fun doing it!

Not everyday is high hilarity.  But everyday is good, even the ones that aren't because they are one more day we have wrested away from this stupid disease.

Upon learning we were blessed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), we did what I think most people do in that situation, went home and stared at each other for three months.  We went to church, work and hung out with family but alot of our down time was just staring.  That is known as the "shock and awe," period.  Which was punctuated by infrequent screams on my part whenever Pat tripped or made a funny noise.  A 1/4 of an Atavan helped me through that as well as going to our family therapist.  I also re-read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.  Now there's  a guy who knows how to put your life in perspective. (Favorite line- "Man is but corpse with a soul." And, I think he stole that from an earlier philospher, Epictetus)  I finished the book first, then we were released by our therapist who helped us plan our first overnight in a nice mountain hotel and reassured us we would be happy again.  Finally, I was able to quit the atavan after about six months.  And holy cow, after time we did find that we were able to be happy again.  Even with this damn disease hanging over us. 
My GOAL for today is to learn how to spell Amyotrophic Lateral sclerosis.  I always have to google and then cut and paste it which hoses up my formatting. Sorry about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment