Monday, September 30, 2013

Attitude Adjustment

That was the catch phrase when I was subbing quite a bit.  This or that kid needed an "attitude adjustment."

We needed one the other day.  Pat had had a rough day and we knew why, it was lack of sleep.  Sometimes that just happens and it wears him out for the following day. It was completely our fault.  We'd been ignoring our sleep hygiene for the previous few days. And it really affects both of us.

Saturday, we were extra good about the sleep hygiene thing. But it wasn't hard. We were watching the Ole Miss/ Bama game and it wasn't much fun, so we were able to turn it off.


The next morning Pat was  much better after a good  night's sleep. I told him I knew he felt better and he said, " I know. I didn't say anything because I don't want to jinx it."

I looked at him and said, "You know, instead of thinking that  way about it, we need to just be grateful for when you do feel good.  Go from an attitude of fearful anticipation to gratitude for where we are now."

In  LAMB, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ' Childhood Pal,  the writer is bewildered by the concept of  living in the now.   "Where's the dread? Where's the guilt?" he asks Jesus.

Living with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a neverending exercise of living in the now. Right now Pat is watching DEADWOOD and  I have to go get Elspeth her booster shots.  I thought we'd be done with that when the children left home.


 

When I was googling these two images, it struck me that both of these works are about sinners and the redemptive power of love. Both are excellent; but not something you want to enjoy with your grandchildren.

 All this sin and redemption is making me think that Ole Miss could have used a savior Saturday Night, but I'm not sure there are any Manning grandchildren available right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment