Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Naked Valet-part deux

 THE MORE THE MERRIER is a very funny movie regarding the overcrowding of D.C. during WW2.


The seemingly prissy, very cute Jean Arthur is coerced into letting two men room with her for a couple of days.  The older one is Charles Coburn and the hunky one is Joel McCrea.

Jean Arthur's character devises a morning schedule that breaks each minute of the three characters'  preparation time into seconds so that they can all bathe, dress, eat breakfast, and get out the door on time.  It is, of course, a shambles.

Our mornings are sort of like that now.  I have it all planned from the minute we finish reading the paper.  I get Pat ready to shower, I run down fix my oatmeal, I help Pat afterwards, and then I fix his breakfast.  While my oatmeal is cooking I clean equipment and make the bed.  While Pat eats his breakfast I go for my walk.  While I brush my teeth, I clean the kitchen and run the dishwasher.  While I swish the mouthwash, I shower.

 For some reason, I have forgotten to allot anytime for me to dress and it is always the last event to occur. I can't seem to figure out how to fit in that critical part of my morning. I throw something on, usually  from the closet and not the dirty clothes hamper and race out the door.

There was a remake of that wonderful move, starring my beloved Cary Grant and another favorite, Jim Huttton. The girl is unimportant, but it's playing on TCM this week.   Not nearly as good, but Cary is always fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment