Monday, October 14, 2013

Sometimes

I had quit praying for the last couple of weeks.  Life got in the way.  I had to accommodate new equipment, medical appointments, family doings and of course, I'm trying to get through the Harry Potter series by Halloween so I can watch the wicked Voldemort get his comeuppance by All Saints Day. We all have our personal ambitions.

I usually do my serious praying in the sauna.  It is the second sauna Pat has made for me and I am exceedingly grateful to him for doing that. But I'd spent recent saunas planning the day, weeks and months and so God got a pass from me.  It was not deliberate.  I just forgot about it all.  And then one day last week I remembered, I started with the usual one, "Our Father," and burst into tears.  It was like the time my parents lost me at the Canadian Exhibition.  I cried because I thought they had abandoned me to a Canadian orphanage and then when Dad showed up to recover me, I cried even harder.

I don't understand prayer.  I doubt I ever will. I do think that though Lucy has it right when says in THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, "Sometimes he likes to be asked."  Although I know the Supreme Being is not a untamed lion, I think about that when I am hesitant to ask for help.

Prayer is as ephemeral,persistent and strong as those pesky spider webs I am forever walking through.  It is our link to heaven.  It is always there and we just have remember to not brush it out of our face, but grab onto it with all our hearts.  It is through prayer, ours and others, that have helped us through this.

I went to the Catholic website for healing prayers.  I figured they've been in the business for over 2000 years, they should know what they're doing.  Here's my favorite.

"Touch gently, this life you have created. Now and forever more." Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment