Saturday, March 25, 2017

Promises Promises


                  At the beginning of Lent  I'd made promises to a couple of Facebook friends that I would pray for their familial situations.  I did this via private message, taking to heart that bible verse about hypocrites praying on the street corners.   Also, because I know my prayer record is less than stellar, I thought doing this via private message would get me off the hook when I invariably failed.  Years ago, I'd  even taken a "centering prayer" class and all I did was end up trying to remember the lyrics to RED RUBBER BALL-the curse of adult ADDism. 

             We've had a couple of ALS induced funny weeks wherein nothing horrible happened, but I missed seeing BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and other things.  It also meant the kind of time, where when I go to bed at night, I am totally exhausted and  only want to read about the glorious naval battles of Jack and Stephen in my current MASTER AND COMMANDER book.  Instead, as soon as I settle in, visions of the names of the people I promised to pray for wander through my brain and I realize that I am not going to get to visit with  those brave sailors  until I fulfill my prayer commitment.  It only took me a couple of nights of this to realize, that if don't get to that prayer during the day, I will be reminded of it by the recipient of those upward thoughts.    


I have no problem understanding God as creator of the universe- a bigger than life version of Charleton Heston and Dumbledore.   I know God can move mountains while keeping an eye on the sparrow.  I am just a bit surprised to discover he is kind of  a nag.










No comments:

Post a Comment