Saturday, November 5, 2016

Little and big things

It started with my cold.  I was as sick as I'd been in years (discounting my bout of food poisoning last winter).
Then Pat caught it, and of course, with an ALS patient, nothing is simple.  Yesterday afternoon was probably the scariest time we've had since the trach.   Infection is the bugaboo of our lives, and when something takes hold that quickly and firmly, you just hold on and wait it out.  Dr. Bedlack had told us Superman Christopher Reeves died from an infected bedsore. Germs are our kryptonite.  We walk a thin line in our house. We have to attack infections quickly, but not use antibiotics so much that they are rendered useless.

On Facebook in November, there is a common thread.  Many of my friends write thankfulness posts.

Here's mine.
I"m thankful for big pharma.  People love to hate them because you know, they are big and they make alot of money and don't seem to care. BUT BY GOLLY...without the extremely costly research, testing and marketing, I wouldn't have had the z-pac to give to Pat when he needed it. SO THANK YOU BIG PHARMA...you've made me a happy camper.

Here's another corporate shout out.  Pampers, Huggies, and whoever else makes baby wipes. If you think about it, if we didn't have disposable wipes, we would have to use rags to clean up messes, wipe faces, etc. And that means more laundry, folding and all that other stuff I hate. So thank you Kimberly Clark, Proctor and Gamble and any other corporation that makes home health care easier.

What about cleaning supplies?  Here's a big thank you to Clorox bleach spray.  We can disinfect the bathroom sink in about five seconds...Plastic trash bags? We just tie them up, toss the stuff and don't have to worry about disinfecting the garbage cans.  Plastic cups, plastic straws?  use 'em toss 'em.   Infection control is inversely proportional to landfill control, but in this case I DON'T CARE...

Thank you  Permobile.  When Pat went back to bed, Thor and I kept watch. I was reading THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS but that chair is so comfortable, when I sit it in, I'm able to nap as easily as in any leather recliner.  So I did.

Thank you to our girls.  They took me seriously when I told them not to bring the grands around, but they knew enough to visit themselves.   Clare brought me Kung Pao, Anna brought scotch and we watched a really terrible silly movie,  Laina is bringing St. Paul's Barbque tonight.  Emma gets a pass because there is sickness in her own family.

As Laina texted this morning, it was a dangerous Battle of the Boogers, but we are winning...

...so far.

THANKS BE TO GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment