Friday, December 20, 2013

Missed Opportunities

I've been participating in a study on caregiving.  (I don't even know if that is a word, but it's late at night and really, you know, it works. TWERKING made the OED this year, so I think I'm good.)

The study is conducted by phone because what caregiver has time to drive anywhere to answer questions? I'd  rather spend my free time getting a pedicure.  The person calling asks a series of the same questions, every other week for a couple of months.  I guess it is to gauge how close to pulling our hair out we are.

 One of the regular questions is, 'Do you have any regrets?" And I think I always answered "No."  Not because every decision I made was so wonderful, but with that lovely gift from God called forgetfulness, I don't remember every stupid mistake I've made. So now, according to my brain damaged (I have had about 5 concussions) memory, no, I told them.  No regrets.

I wish they'd called today.  I have a huge regret I could have reported.

The man I married and love is not what I would call vertically challenged, but we did figure out that despite his protestations that he was average height, his suits started fitting better when I bought the 38 short as opposed to regular.  Because I am very similar in height, for our entire married life, I was limited in heel height.  ( Pat didn't like me  towering over him.).

Last night our family book club went to Pregos for our Christmas meeting.  Pregos is a wonderful little Italian restaurant in our town and you can dress up or down as much as you'd like.  Pat stayed at home with our daughter who doesn't attend bookclub and I decided to wear my fabulous RED Liz Claiborne high heels I'd bought about 5 years earlier.  I looked great.  I thought, now that Pat is in the Permobile, I will tower over him anyway, so let's get some great spike heels and strut my stuff.

I was able to walk from the car to the table, but that was about it.  My feet were killing me the whole time.  Thank goodness Vincenzo makes a mean martini to take away the pain.  The dinner helped me forget until it was time to put them on again and even one of the youngest members looked at me with such concern and asked, "are you going to be alright Aiti?" I managed to hobble back to the car and finally into the house.  The shoes are now happily ensconced in the Goodwill bag, waiting to be worn by younger feet.

So I think THAT is the regret I could have reported. I should have worn  sexy shoes while my body could do it.

Here's a link to a cute movie about the power of the heel.  And the lead actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor, is in 12 YEARS A SLAVE as well as that Christmas favorite, LOVE ACTUALLY.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434124/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinky_Boots_(film)

g

No comments:

Post a Comment